What is Agrecalc?
- Agrecalc is a carbon calculating software, or as many refer to it – farm carbon calculator.
- But first and foremost, Agrecalc is a Resource Use Calculator.
- Far from being a tick box exercise, if applied correctly, Agrecalc can show you where you can apply mitigation measures to reduce on-farm costs and boost business profitability.
Who are we?
- Agrecalc is team of agricultural professionals, environmental scientists and technical developers on a mission to provide clarity and confidence when it comes to GHG emissions.
- 16+ years of experience in calculating carbon footprint; backed by cutting-edge science and research at SRUC and practical knowledge of SAC Consultants
- We are supporting the transition to low-carbon agriculture, whilst increasing production efficiency.
Agrecalc is a farm carbon footprint tool designed to:
- Identify the main sources of carbon emissions (CO2 – from fossil fuels; CH4 – from ruminant digestion and manures; N2O – from fertiliser application)
- Measure those emissions & monitor improvements year after year
- Benchmark key performance indicators / relevant comparators
- Account for sequestration – woodland, hedgerows, soil carbon and biodiverse habitats
Why use Agrecalc?
- ‘Calculate’ option – yearly subscription is FREE for farmers
- Calculates whole farm emissions, emissions per kg of output and per enterprise
- No one else handles mixed farms / allocation as well
- Livestock – most accurate and complete IPCC Tier II method – 15 years of experience
- Access to benchmark data – no one else provides farmers with access to validated benchmarks
- Based on scientific credibility of SRUC, and independence and practical reputation of SAC Consulting
- The only one in the UK that has IPCC soil carbon approved module
What's in it for me?
Understanding your own carbon baseline and the mitigation options allows you to:
Secure Government support:
Anticipate how best to secure grants, subsidies, participation in schemes, and other payments
Secure markets and premiums:
Meet retailer requirements and secure markets and potential premiums for farm products
Reduce input use and cost:
Map your use of inputs, compare efficiency with others, identify costly hot spots where savings can be made
Who is asking for farm carbon audits?
- Redirecting agricultural subsidies towards low carbon approaches
- Implementing legislation to drive lower carbon emissions
- Putting pressure on wider economy / retail sectors – to cut emissions
Processors and retailers
- Seeking suppliers / farmers to help them deliver low carbon / net zero products to consumers
- Seeing the benefit of commercial / market advantage
What does the future hold?
Module released: Tier II Nitrous Oxide calculations form the UK national Inventory
Agrecalc Cloud, released in July 2023, includes:
Nitrification / urease inhibitors
Enhanced pig / poultry inputs
3NOP feed additive
Anaerobic digestion of manures
Scope 1 / 2 / 3 emission reporting
Further releases will involve: GWP*, agroforestry, peatlands, ammonia, nitrate feed additives, enhanced reporting, and much more!
Where can I find out more?
Feel free to browse the website or contact us via the Contact page.
Maybe you’re a fruit producer who would be interested in how we’ve helped a major Scottish berry grower and packager establish a roadmap of carbon footprint reduction.
Or how we work with a Northern Ireland levy body on developing sustainable farming systems.
Download our newest brochure: Agrecalc Cloud – the carbon and resource efficiency leader.